FOR THE CHICKEN:
8 chicken thighs
salt and pepper
2tbsp sesame seeds
2tbsp runny honey
FOR THE CURRY SAUCE:
2cm fresh ginger
2 red chillies, deseeded
1 bunch fresh coriander
4 cloves garlic
1 stick lemongrass, outer leaves discarded
1 small bunch spring onions
300ml chicken stock
200g fine green beans/sugar snap peas
400ml coconut milk
FOR THE NOODLES:
250g rice noodles
Sweet chilli sauce
a few sprigs of coriander
1. Place one large and one slightly smaller frying pan over a high heat.
2. Place the chicken thighs, skin side down, into the larger frying pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. The chicken will take about 20 minutes to cook through- turn the thighs every minute or so throughout the cooking time.
3. Put a sheet of greaseproof paper over the chicken and position the smaller frying on top.
Place something heavy into the smaller pan to weight it down, such as a pestle and mortar.
4. Place the ginger, chillies, coriander, garlic, lemongrass and spring onions in a food processor. Blend to a paste, adding a drizzle of sesame and olive oil as required.
5. Remove the smaller pan and greaseproof paper from the larger pan. Place the smaller pan over a medium heat. Drain away the fat from the large pan and turn the thighs over so they are skin side up. Add the sesame seeds to the smaller pan and toast until golden brown. Transfer the seeds to a small bowl.
6. Drain the fat away from the chicken again, wipe the pan with kitchen paper and reduce the heat. Add two tablespoons of the curry paste and toss to glaze the chicken. Turn the chicken over.
7. Heat the remaining curry paste a saucepan and stir in the chicken stock and green beans or peas. Add the coconut milk and bring to the boil.
8. Put the noodles in a heat proof bowl and cover with freshly boiled water. Once they are soft enough to eat, drain the noodles, rinse under cold water and drizzle with sesame oil, lime juice and a pinch of salt.
9. Once the chicken has cooked through, add the honey and toss, flipping the chicken over so that it is skin side down again.
10. Serve the chicken, noodles and curry sauce with the shredded lettuce, coriander, sesame seeds and chilli sauce and soy sauce.